Monday, April 10, 2023

Finished Quilts: Optical Illusions

 The two small optical illusion quilts are done.  Vaguely, in my mind, there should be some name related to fraternal twins, but that’s as far as the puzzling about names has gone.

I regret not starching the fabrics.  My last two were made with really fabulous fabric from Vicki that did not need starching.  Alas, my solids this time did not play nicely, so there is puckering in the quilting.  I was able to deal with a certain portion of it, but not all.

My sister, at about the time I was grinding my teeth about the quilting and lack of starching, sent me a meme that read, “You do know, don’t you, that your mistakes are your style.”  I would like my style to be less clumsy mistakes, but I am reminded not to be too hard on myself.
I have no purpose or destination in mind for my quilts; they’ll be wall art for now.  I created them to play with values and google sheets for design purposes, so they were successes in that way.
I must confess I prefer the dark and on point to light and straight set.

Both are made from the mystic jade gradient by Vicki and two random solids from my stash.  They are about 30” square.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

3 comments:

Vicki W said...

Both quilts are beautiful but, like you, I'm a little partial to the on-point one.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree with both of you - I'm partial to the one on-point - ;))

Paula said...

I love the dark version. I think that is what makes the quilt so interesting. I think it would look good in a straight layout as well. Is this something you came up with on your own? I did a scrappy blue/green/teal optical illusion quilt that I loved. I have an ombre fabric that I think would look great in this design. Is there a pattern, or did you figure out the layout on your own?

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...