Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pre-Baby Shopping

So, in the past, I have always gone shopping the day I am in labor. I don't think I can do that this time, as I have already purchased (gulp) 32 yards of fabric this week.

First, I've been working on taking back the Assistant's chopped up pink fabrics to make her a quilt. I realized there weren't enough after she had done so much cutting, so we went to JoAnn's to buy a little more. While there, I bought a piece to match my "Royal People" quilt (gift from Lori for my birthday) that I have been struggling to match. Of course, the Assistant picked out her own pink also (she won't even let me get close enough to snap a picture), and (GASP) Screamer started her own stash: red. I also picked up the lovely blue and green fabrics just for me. That was 10 yards.
On Thursday, I saw a sign for the next block over that there was a hug craft/fabric sale. Of course, I forgot to stop by, and thought maybe God was telling me I had enough fabric for now. On Friday, to occupy the girls while DH was cutting wood in the backyard, I thought I would take them for a walk around the block and see if we could check out this massive fabric sale. After all, it's good for pregnant women to walk, and sometimes these sales are overrated. There was no sale on the next block over; I was bummed; we headed for home.

Aha! The signs were set up for the next street, but the sale was actually at the end of MY block! (Shows you just how often I walk into my neighborhood, doesn't it. It becomes the ghetto in 3/4 mile, so I usually walk in another direction.) We started looking, and 22 yards later, plus 20 zippers for $10, jiffy grip for free, I was a doomed woman. A woman had died several years ago, and her husband was only now getting to selling off all her crafting supplies. The fabric was being sold for $1.50 a yard.

I bought 4 yards of Jiffy Grip (she actually threw it in for free), two yards of a light blue knit, 1 yard of a dark mint knit, and 1 yard of a dark green knit. If I mess up the projects, I won't feel as badly as if I had paid $5/yard for them.



I picked out this pink for the Assistant's quilt, and 8 yards of green to fill out my nearly-depleted green stash. The cream butterfly is in two 2-yd pieces, and as I used up most of my muslin, whites, and creams for a current quilt, I though a little replenishing might be a good idea.
Finally, there were some packages of fat quarters and fat quarter-ish (a little smaller) pieces. I bought one of yellows, one that contained music fabrics, and one that contained bright children's fabrics. The Assistant picked up her own bag of scraps, but she won't let me touch them or the pink pieces she chose. She's afraid I'll cut them. DH says I may have created a monster. I will be sharing some of it with a friend who will be adopting a baby due this summer. She is learning to sew, and needs some goodies too!

And I'm not in labor yet (despite the contractions), so I don't have a really good excuse. At least I'm still 3 yards out for the year.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

sewkalico said...

Oh my! You did very well replenishing your stash! I await your news!

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...