Thursday, March 11, 2010

Last of the Baby Quilts

I finished the last baby quilts that I was hoping to finish before April 1!
First up is a quilt for my SiL, who is expecting six weeks after me. Remind me never, ever, EVER to pick a block that is entirely triangles that don't have easy matching points. The block is called "Aunt Martha's Irish Chain" and was made from Judy Martin's 500 Quilt Blocks book. The backing had to be shamrocks, and I used the last four leftover blocks (they have more errors than the front blocks). The end effect of the blocks is pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to make them again!.

Next up is Q's floor mat using the map fabric. It wasn't part of my original list, but I'm still glad to get it done. It's not really quilted. I did some quilting but had to rip it out. When I feel like doing more, I will, but I'm still calling this done for now.

The last baby quilt is Friendship Stars. Since I don't know if the mommy is having a boy or a girl, I tried to keep it pretty neutral. DH vetoed a purple fabric that I wanted to include, and I think he was right on. He usually is, which is why I don't like to ask for his advice. Fortunately, the colors for the front matched well with a piece of fabric I received for my birthday. Since there was only a yard of it, I had to make sure the top wasn't too big. I did end up adding a small strip of orange stars to make it fit. I simply machine quilted around the stars in echoing lines of yellow, bound it in orange, and
am relieved to know I'll have all the new-mommy quilts done until August!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

2 comments:

sewkalico said...

Well done! They look great. Love the map as a floor mat - great idea!!

Lori said...

Green--I LOVE green! and the friendship stars--good choice, and the backing was perfect. You are on the downhill slide girl!

Progress

I sorted and cut my pink scraps this week, since the machine is busy.  I also finished, before the quilting started, 147 yellow 16 patches! ...