Sunday, March 28, 2010

New Sewing Machine

I have completely neglected to blog about my new sewing machine. A few weeks ago, while shopping at Target, I found a Brother XL-3750 sewing machine on clearance. You may remember that I said I have a dislike-hate relationship with my old Singer. It's lovely, but cannot quilt and piece as much as I wish. I talked to DH about buying a new machine, with the agreement that I would somehow pass on both of my old machines (the Singer and an old, simpler Brother).

Well, the new machine is not computerized, which I love. It has about 20 more decorative stitches than the old Brother, and my Singer only did zigzag, so it's fabulously better than the Singer. It came with a WALKING FOOT! Woohoo! I will be able to order a 1/4" foot soon, and that will only cost $5, instead of the $40 it was going to cost me to get one for my Singer.

My sister will be receiving the old Singer for her birthday. She has no sewing machine, but we both learned to use them when we were little. The Singer was my step-grandmother's, and she passed away several years ago, so I hated to sell it or junk it. For mending, it will be great.

The old Brother I hope to sell (for $25, if that!), to pay a little but off the new one.

I'm so excited that it has worked out so well. I was afraid I would have to spend $100s on a new machine, and that was not going to be in the books for a LONG time with the Assistant going to preschool next year.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

sewkalico said...

Great news! But I'm waiting on other news? :-)

Progress

I sorted and cut my pink scraps this week, since the machine is busy.  I also finished, before the quilting started, 147 yellow 16 patches! ...