Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Strike Two...

Okay, Prairie Quilt Guild, you and I just aren't going to be friends.  I already wrote about our first visit here.

I decided to try the evening meeting, understanding that is was smaller and therefore, perhaps, friendlier to an intensely shy person like myself.  I find the membership desk and the guest sign in, keeping an eye out for Donna to introduce myself (I never did find her... she was busy).

No greeting.  "Are you a guest?"  It was almost accusatory.  "Yes, I am."  "Is this your first visit?"  Again, what did I do wrong?  "No, it's my second."  Then, the condescension came.  "You have to register in September."  If I come!  Who says I want to come back, if this is the welcome I get as a guest?  Then, she tossed a nametag in my direction, told me to sign it, and totally ignored me.  I was so flustered by the disdain in her voice, I stumbled off to find a seat and didn't even get my ticket for a chance at a doorprize.  I don't do rude.  I have a hard enough time compelling myself to get out and meet new people, but having my visit thrown back in my face as an unwelcome visitor is more than I can take.

But you know what?  That's okay.  Maybe if I had had BoB with me, I would have said something about welcoming guests.  But I didn't.  It was just me and my hexies (I finished another snowflake!  Woohoo!).

Good things about this visit?  Great show-and-tell.  Less women - even some men.  I met Jen Eskridge of ReannaLily Designs (not that I knew exactly who she was at the time... I had to come home and look up the Wichita Modern Quilt Guild).  Interesting speaker about getting yourself published.

The rotten part?  I mean, other than the intensely unfriendly greeting?  The timing for these meetings is terrible.  1-3 means I have no babysitter during the school year as my mom has other obligations (not that I could afford a babysitter just to go to a quilt meeting anyhow... I should save babysitting money for a date with my DH or something else worthwhile).  7-9 means the kids have to go to bed without me.  Tonight, apparently, that involved WWIII for DH, and the baby was still frantically awake when I pulled in.  It's not worth it for a less-than-enthusiastic greeting and two hours as an anonymous quilter.  I'd rather spend the money for dues on... fabric.

So long, Prairie Quilt Guild.  I think you're better off without me, and I'm better off doing other things with my time and money.

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

4 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Oh, Katie!! - BOB and I don't do guilds, either! Have you read about the time we went to the library?

http://thequiltbitch.blogspot.com/2011/06/bob-went-to-library.html

I really don't think that some guild members have a clue that they are being snotty, condescending and just downright rude! Or that they are being bitchier than BOB! (At least she admits it!)

Or they do know - and just don't CARE!

But that's OK - phooey on the guild - you have other quilter friends online - and we think that you 're VERY cool! ;)) See ya Saturday!
^..^

Kitty aka BOB

Mary-Kay said...

Sometimes guilds are not the answer. I went to guild meetings in my town for 5 years before I finally got the hint. I'm not welcomed into the "in" crowd. I felt like I was back in high school trying to break in to an established clique. One time at a meeting, Robyn Pandolph, the fabric designer, was the guest speaker and she spoke about her guild back in Texas. She said she learned everything about quilting at her meetings and I just looked at my sister and laughed.If anyone would talk to me or welcome me to their table, I might have learned a thing or two. The best part about the meetings is the "Show and Tell" portion. It's like a free quilt show once a month. To keep my finger in the loop here in town, I was trying to visit the quilt shops but I haven't even been to any of them all summer. I've gotten to the point where I don't really care who's making what and who quilted it for them. I read my blogs and most of the time, they are pretty entertaining. I have a couple of quilting friends and we always talk about creating our own guild that welcomes new members and shares their quilting knowledge with all people present. I know, dream on!

Henrietta said...

As you probably guessed, having met me, I am neither shy nor snotty. Rude? Sometimes I guess, but not without provocation.

Many many years ago I went to two meetings of my local quilt guild. They were without exception a bunch of snotty puffed up middle aged sixth graders.

I joined and attended Lori's guild, they were nice down to earth ladies. I went to Jay's sew in, lovely people!

Is this the only guild in town? If it is consider starting your own, call it a sewing circle if it makes you feel better. If you are the queen you set the rules, agenda, dues & the meeting time, you could probably have your meetings for free at your local library or your church may have a meeting room. Ask one of your local quilt shop owners to send an instructor or lecturer, next month ask another.

SpinningStar said...

I understand - there is guild that's large and run by the same group of ladies. I stopped going to that one and went to the anti-guild that was forming. No dues, no agenda, bring a snack to share and quilts to show. Much better.

I agree that the way to go might be small sewing groups. The library has meeting rooms and they love it when local groups help with the monthly displays.
liz

Stash Report Week #15

 I didn’t buy any fabric this week, so the stash report is unchanged.  I will work on assembling my New York Beauty blocks, and I need to de...