Saturday, January 15, 2022

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Love It!

 Despite the chaos of sick days (not me, not the rona), school being cancelled due to high case numbers, and a birthday (JoJo is 9!), I managed ample sewing time.

So far this month, I have seven blocks.  The last one is not yet pressed.  Alas, not all are red, but I’ve run out of the red fabric from this line.  This is a good problem, as I don’t need oodles of leftovers after I finish the quilt.  If I can remember their names… Haystack, strawberry jam, water wheel, camera, spring star?, and sewing basket.  17 small blocks and one large block left.  It’s exciting!

I’m also really loving my heart blocks.  They work nicely in between other bits of sewing.  Blocks are a combination of quick to sew and a bit tedious.  My goal is to use red, pink, and purple fabrics to make a heart quilt.  As I finish more blocks, the overall pattern will make more sense.  In the meantime, there’s more appliqué then I usually do, and I’m trying to use the large bin of scraps.  I am quickly realizing there will be far too many scraps left at the end, but that’s okay.
I am also trudging along with my Rhododendron Mystery.  I’m… not in love.  It will be fine in the end.

Every year I wonder if I’m going to get tired of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  This year, I can cheerfully tell you that no, I’m not tired of it!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

11 comments:

Sara said...

The heart blocks are especially cute!

Deb A said...

Busy week but glad you got some sewing time in. The hearts are looking great.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
Love your hearts, I have joined RSC Scraps for 3 years now
and really enjoy the process of picking out my pattern and
fabrics for this challenge. Have a great day!

Linda said...

Love your heart blocks. I really enjoy participating in RSC each year because I make lots of different blocks( many from ideas gleaned from RSC blogs), eventually turned into great quilts and reading so many super blogs.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those are pretty blocks - I love the strawberry jam one! And so many great hearts, too. They're going to make a fun quilt!

Ivani said...

You made pretty blocks and so many different red hearts, how fun.
Have a great weekend.

Mari said...

Scraps are a never-ending theing, no matter how hard we try. Congratulations on almost being to the end of that big quilt project! I love the RSC, even when I get behind, because there are always so many fun and creative things to see. And great people from all over, too!

Maggie said...

Love the hearts and as for the scraps, they seem to multiply by themselves. Bonnie Hunter’s mystery always fascinated me, and I am doing it for the first time. So far the biggest surprise was the size of the blocks, they are bigger than what I thought they would be. Looking forward to seeing your mystery. Have a wonderful day.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE those Heart blocks, Katie!! Must say that I was a bit taken aback by your wondering if you might be tired of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. SEW glad that you decided you weren't!! One more thing... How is JoJo 9? Where did the time go? Happy birthday, JoJo!!!

Vicki W said...

I love the heart blocks!

Susie H said...

Your heart blocks look great and I think they'll make a beautiful quilt. Keep going on your Rhododendron quilt. I haven't seen one yet that wasn't pretty.

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...