Saturday, January 7, 2017

Mulberries and Wine

This week, I was temporarily waylaid by a virulent stomach bug, just in time to have to cancel birthday visitor plans.  Fortunately, I'm well now and no one else is sick, so all's well that ends well.
On the good days, I hand quilted by purple orphan block.  It will be a pin cushion to put by the Assistant's machine.  Why I decided to hand quilt it, I don't know.  Because I could?  And it would look pretty?

My Garden Party blocks positively flew out from under my needle.  I'm looking forward to the development of this one!
Left, mini 9s
Right, Garden Party
Since the above blocks were so quick, I made a start at my mini 9s.  They are going well too!

Finally, in scrappy land, my goal for the week was to baste "Spelling Bee," a quilt I made entirely from orphan blocks, scraps, and small hunks of fabric in white, yellow, black, or grey.  Basting took longer with PK, but it was still manageable.  Friday, when I was feeling better (and ignoring chores since it was my birthday), I managed to quilt the entire thing!
Finally, per Angela's request, here's a few links for you:
My all-time favorite rainbow scrap quilt, a 16-patch.
My Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts from 2016, all in links on this post from last week.

And of course, go back and look at everyone else's projects!

9 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Happy Birthday, Katie!!! Sorry you weren't feeling well, but you still managed to get a LOT done this week. Looking forward to seeing your RSC projects progress during 2017!

Cathy said...

You manage to be not only creative, but prolific. You are amazing! So sorry to hear you were sick this week, but glad you were doing better by your birthday. I hope it was warm and wonderful!!

Deb A said...

Happy belated birthday. So sorry you got the dreaded bug but so happy no one else in the house got it. Enjoy the sewing time.

scraphappy said...

Thanks for those links. So many great scrappy quilts.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Happy Birthday, Katie!! Glad you're feeling better - and it's amazing what you can get done even when you don't feel well - just amazing - ;))

gayle said...

Happy birthday! (And how awful to be sick for your birthday...)
I really adore your spelling bee quilt! I've been admiring it right along since you started it!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy Birthday, Katie! What a sweet use for an orphan block, as a pincushion for your apprentice in sewing!

Angie said...

Wow! Spelling Bee quilted in a day - I'm in awe!

Kate said...

Congrats on getting Spelling Bee all quilted. It's a very bright and fun quilt. Sorry you had the stomach gunk, no fun. Happy belated Birthday. Hope you had a very nice day.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...