Friday, January 13, 2017

Periwinkles and Orchids

This week, I feel a little like Typhoid Mary.  JoJo missed a whole week of school with the intestinal garbage, Q missed Friday, and the Assistant is feeling ill as of Friday night.  Why can't everyone get sick at once, or in rapid succession, and be done?  This four-five day break is killing me.  (That's probably the lack of sleep talking.)

Before everyone got sick, on Sunday, I finished my purple orphan block quilting and turned it into a pin cushion for the Assistant.  She sews on my grandmother's machine, which needs a new spool pin, so it's currently gerry-rigged to work on the cam pin!

While JoJo was recuperating, I managed to hand-stitch down the binding to the free-form alphabet quilt.  Miss G is unmoved by my accomplishment, but I really like it.  It washed up pleasantly soft and fits her bed, so that's the important part.  Hurrah for using up orphan blocks and oddly shaped scraps!

Mini nines are all done and pressed.  All of them have purple in them, but I'm trying to mix each color so at the end of the year I have a wide variety of color combinations available to me.  I think I'm really going to enjoy the development of these blocks.
My hourglass blocks moved along so quickly that they're done for the month too!  I stitched up a few blue since I didn't have 20 purple.
During JoJo's illness and convalescence, we spent an inordinate amount of time upstairs, away from the playroom.  I took the opportunity to lay out all my Bits and Bobs in order to assess my progress.  Much to my surprise, I only need 29 more nine-patch blocks and am missing 10 churn dash blocks.  All told, I think I may actually finish all the blocks this year.  I'm so excited!  I thought I still had 50 or so nine-patch blocks to go, and since my 1" scraps are getting low, I had no dream of wrapping up this multi-year project.  I know I'll love this quilt (and it's staying with me, after all the work!).

Be sure to check out all the purple projects this month!  If you're in the path of the ice, be safe, stay warm, and don't drive if you can!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

19 comments:

Libby in TN said...

Fabulous projects, every one. You'll have a lot to show at year's end.

Deb A said...

Wow! That looks amazing! Sorry to hear the sickness is spreading through the house. Hope you are all feeling well soon.

scraphappy said...

Even taking care of sick kids, you still managed to get quite a bit done. Getting so excited about seeing those bits and bobs come together. I'm off to get mine out too!

Jennifer said...

your bits and bobs quilt is fantastic!

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

Oh it is hard when the flu hits :(

You got so much done in spite of it, though and the bits and bobs looks amazing! :)

Kat Scribner said...

OMGosh, all those bitty blocks, so much great work, they will be some great finishes!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Well you do get a lot done even though!!

Chantal said...

Congratulations of finishing the Alphabet Quilt. It is the cutest quilt using up orphan blocks AND odd shaped scraps I've seen in a long time. Great work! How big are the Churn Dash blocks? I so love your Bits and Bobs quilt that I want one too. So happy to hear you didn't catch the boog-a-boo flu. Hang in there, it is almost over. God bless. ;^)

Cathy said...

Well, I hope everyone is on the mend now. It's amazing how much you got done being sick. Your nine patch and churn dash quilt will both be so delightful. Heirlooms in the making!

The Joyful Quilter said...

You amaze me with your productivity. Congrats! on finishing Spelling Bee (LOVE it!!!) and making such good progress on OMG, even through poor health circulating through your family.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

It's always such a great feeling to find out you're closer to a finish than you realized! I've been marveling over your teeny tiny blocks. What fun quilts they make!

Cathy said...

Impressive work! I hate to see sick kiddos. Poor things. Take care.

Angie said...

So much progress - sorry to hear that illness was a motivating factor! (I once made an entire string quilt while my kids were home with the chickenpox) Hope you all are spared the worst effects of the ice storm!

gayle said...

I hope everyone's feeling better!
I love that alphabet quilt, and your bits and bobs are spectacular! So close!

Sheila said...

Your work is beautiful! I love watching your quilts come together.
I hope everyone is well soon.

Vicki W said...

I was the only sick person in my house and you still got 10 times more done than I did! I absolutely LOVE the Bits and Bobs quilt. I might need to start something like that.

Kate said...

In spite of all the upset tummies, you've done a great job of getting things done. Your Churn dash and 9 patch quilts are so fun. Both were a lot of work, I'm glad you are keeping the 9 patch quilt. Love the Spelling Bee quilt, sorry that Miss G wasn't more excited about it. Hope everyone is now well and back into the normal routine.

Quiltdivajulie said...

The alphabet quilt is fabulous! Happy for you that the mini blocks are within reach and STOMACH BUGS STOMACH BUGS GO AWAY!

Lori said...

That's lots of sewing along with the stomach bug. Kids are unimpressed with quilts it have fun with sprinkled on cupcakes. ;-)

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...