Saturday, January 28, 2017

Random Rainbow

This week, I sewed two sets of things.  First, I managed17 more blocks for my Bits and Bobs, bringing my needed number of blocks down to 22!  Suddenly, the end of the piecing is in sight for the quilt, and I'm excited to see all the tedious, tiny piecing pay off.  There are no more churn dashes needed, so I'll continue piecing the tiny nines.  The colors are becoming random because my box of 1" strips is nearly exhausted.  It only took 3 years, as I can trace it back at least to February of 2014.
On a related, tiny piecing note, I already have a quilt chosen to use up my 1" pieces when I'm finished with this one.  It will involve four patches.
The second set of piecing were my units for Winter Dance, a variation on Bonnie Hunter's En Provence.  Variation, you might notice.  I pieced an entire set of units in the reverse of the color scheme, exhausting all of one of my fabrics.  Sure, I could order more, but then what do I do with all the "wrong" units?  Last night, I laid out a sample block and decided I could live with the error.  This was, of course, after I cut 100 pairs of pieces for the other TriRecs block in the same pattern of WRONG colors!  Ugh, ugh, ugh.  That one does matter for the star design in the sashing, so I'll be recutting for it and adding a plethora of neutral TriRecs triangles to my orphan box.   Sigh.  At least I like the colors I chose, and it would appear they're going to work together.  In my mind's eye I didn't intend for the dark blue to play center stage, but close enough is good enough.

Don't worry; I didn't piece all of the steps this week.  I've been working away at it for the last three weeks, and have four steps completely done, two in process, and one cut.  It'll be February's finish, hopefully.
I'll leave you with a photo of JoJo and PK.  JoJo adores his little brother and is so proud to be holding him!  I'm grateful he doesn't try to pick up the baby (yet).

Be sure to check out the more purple projects that show up this Saturday!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

18 comments:

scraphappy said...

Mistakes can easily be thought of as design options. Glad you got the subunits to work for you. It would have been a shame to waste them all. Such a sweet baby picture.

Gretchen Weaver said...

I like Winter's Dance. This is how great quilts are designed, by coming up with a new design after a mistake has been made. Your boys are cute together. Blessings villacrestfarm@gmail.com

Quiltdivajulie said...

The boys have such beautiful eyes!

Chantal said...

Awwwh! Precious little boys. They are so cute.
I did cut a quilt wrong too. It is still in the box waiting for Plan B to show up as I have no more of that fabric. I've cut all the fabric on the same side when half were to be reversed!! Your "new" block is very nice and it makes a totally different pattern. I like it. You may call yourself a designer. ;^)

Mari said...

I like the En Provence variation and the colors you chose. I've made more mistakes with that one than I'd like to admit. I think mine will be finished in February as well. I've enjoyed it this year, but I still get hives when I think about Celtic Solstice! Nice picture of your boys.

Ariane said...

Your mini blocks look amazing. I'm working on En Provence too. I did cut and sew all the blocks. I'm doing a little at a time. Making some of each part and sewing the parts together. This quilt definitely has a lot of parts. Yours is looking great so far.

Deb from frugal little bungalow said...

Wonderful blocks and sweet baby and brother !! :)

I like the idea of one quilt design turning into another :)

LA Paylor said...

he adores his little brother! Awesome! Brothers for life! LeeAnna

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I like your En Provence version, especially the dark blue! Hopefully it will come together in a way that you really like. I've done those kinds of things more than once, and after being mad at myself for awhile, I just had to laugh about it! Love the photo of your two boys!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Winter Dance is going to be WONDERFUL (cutting mistakes and all!!) Thanks for the updated photo of PK. I can't BELIEVE how BIG JoJo is getting!! He no longer looks like a toddler. He looks like a big grown up boy now. So glad to hear that he is being a good Big Brother!!

claudia said...

I'm in good company with the mistakes! You aren't alone, and mistakes make a great teacher!
I really like the colors you used!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like your tiny 9 patches - that is going to be great - and good for you - on the EnProvence Love your colors!

Nell's Quilts said...

Bits and bobs is still one of my favourites. They will make a lovely, soft toned quilt. Your mistake, er, variation looks very nice. Great photo of brotherly love.

Cathy said...

Such a wealth of eye candy. Your boys are both adorable! I'm so glad JoJo loves his brother!! your situation with the reversed En Provence colors made me think of the adage "when life gives you scraps..." . You always have a plan to make beautiful things with them!

Kate said...

Bits and Bobs is going to be such a fun quilt! I like how your modified En Provence is coming together. You and I used a very similar color palette for that mystery. I'm way, way behind on getting that project pieced. Have a great week, hopefully with lots of stitching and baby cuddling time.

Angie said...

Yay for Bits & Bobs getting close to a finish - it's a marathon quilt, for sure! I love the look of Winter Dance! Such a sweet picture of the boys!

Jennifer said...

looking great, as usual! yay for you on the B&Bs... I love quilts like that, but can never quite bring myself to make one...

Cathy said...

I've been watching you make Bits and Bobs for a long time and love it every time you bring it out. I don't even think I could see a scrap that small but they sure do make for a beautiful quilt.

The baby looks rather pensive (and cute like his bro).

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...