Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Finished Quilt: S’s Optical Illusion

The Assistant asked for quilts for her friends for Christmas.  One, Oddments, has been finished for a while, but I didn’t realize there was a second needed.  I asked for favorite colors, and the answers were ambiguous, so I had free reign on design, etc.  It occurred to me that I wanted to try an optical illusion again, only larger and with less contrast.

Finding the blue that was the same shade as the red was challenging, resulting in three different attempts.  This quilt required four panels of strips.  I cut all the strips right away to be sure I had enough of each fabric.
Cutting the first set of strips is always nerve-wracking, but it went well.

Once the first set of strips was sewn together, I was pleased that the colors worked 
I’ve developed quite the callouses from the basting this time around.

Quilting was 1/4 the amount I did on Jack in the Box.  It’s only quilted in one direction on the red, instead of both directions on both colors.  Less quilting means it took me less than a day to quilt it.

It looks small in the picture, but my two tallest kids have it hanging off the deck.  I’m almost sad to give it away, but I suspect I’m not done with optical illusions yet.  I learned even more from this one.


from the room of Zana’s Ninis, katie z.

 

2 comments:

Mlada said...

I love how the quilting on the back supports the front illusion so well.

Vicki W said...

It is phenomenal! The recipient is very lucky!

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...