Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Finished Quilt: a Wedding Quilt

Compared to finishing some of my recent quilts, this one was a breeze.  It laid flat, the color catchers seem to have caught all my loose dye, and my quilting was uneventful.

It might be hard to tell from the photos, but each column is a mix of two adjacent colors: orange and red, then orange and yellow, then yellow and green, and so on.  I didn’t want it to be too rigid, but I also have a hard time throwing down blocks at random and leaving it alone.
Finishing at roughly 80” x 88”, this quilt is destined for my sister’s niece as a wedding gift.  Since neither of us had any idea of decor preferences, I used what I had: a rainbow of scraps!  I always assume if a gift doesn’t fit their decor, it can be used as a car quilt, for picnics, or for extras when company comes.

I love the backing.  Last summer we poured the extra green and yellow (and possibly blue?) dyes into a tub with this fabric, so the result was of course unpredictable.  It’s interesting enough on its own that the quilt could be flipped over for display on this side as well.
I am still favoring straight line quilting with this type of block.  I don’t want to distort the straight lines of the fabric and other than meanders, I don’t have any great skill in curved lines.
My bag of 2.5” squares is less full, but definitely not empty yet, so I will have more 16 patch quilts to come later in the year!

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

 

3 comments:

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Katie, your quilt is BEAUTIFUL - your sister's niece is one lucky girl - ;))

Vicki W said...

OMG, it's spectacular! They are going to LOVE it!

Kate said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I don't know what it is about rainbow block quilts, but they always seem to be my favorites.

April 350 Block Count

 I made A LOT of yellow 16 patch blocks this month: 147.  I had no idea I had so many yellow scraps! This month I made 168 blocks: the afore...