Saturday, July 15, 2023

Summer Rains

It has been such a strange year.  We usually have heavy rains in May and early June, and then nothing until September or later.  Yesterday, we had another dumping rain.  I won’t complain about the rain, but the humidity certainly does suck my enthusiasm for the outdoors right out of me!  I work early and then stay inside.

Yesterday, I took another online class for sewing, this one about Jewel Pattern or Cathedral Window.  Yes, I already know how to make one, roughly, but I enjoy the history, Korean vocabulary, and stitching tricks and techniques.  Since I’m 90% self taught over the last 30 years, there are plenty of improvements I could make.  I made this little piece (about 5” square) and I think when we head to Colorado for a few days, I’ll take the pieces to make more.  (My hexagons have definitely reached the not-portable stage.)
 I finished the second Bojagi curtain for my cutting station.  When I take class, this is visible behind me, and I wanted a quieter option than the blue and purple ones.  This area doubles as storage for the kids’s screens, and they had trouble with the ties on the previous curtains, so I needed a better option.
I did make one lonely red 16 patch this week.  It’s funny how few red scraps I have.

What will the next week bring for red scraps?  I’ll have a few more box blocks in red, but that’s about it.  The Assistant has a pinafore she wants to create, and I have a shirt I want to try, so we may have other kinds of sewing for a bit.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z


 

2 comments:

Deb A said...

Everyone seems to have a different color that has very little in their scraps. I agree, red is one of mine as well. Those new curtains look great. So fun to take classes and learn new things.

Kate said...

Love those cathedral window blocks. That's one that's on my to make list. Your table curtains turned out beautifully! Stay cool and dry. We really need it to rain in Kansas, we are currently on water restrictions.

Stash Report Week #18 and 15 Minutes

 I missed a day on my hexagons!  For the first time in almost 18 months, I missed a day.  I stitched extra yesterday, so it will all be fine...