Saturday, January 21, 2017

Magenta and Cobalt

Barn Dance is a quilt pattern by Denise Russart that she offered as a quilt along last year.  I had my plate too full to start last year, but I saved the files and made plans to use my delicious hand-dyed fabrics this year.
I won't be doing the full quilt, as I don't need another quilt that big right now.  I've figured out how to reduce it to a "teacher quilt" size, and I decided to use a dark background instead of light to stretch my creativity.  I'm hoping I don't pick too dark of fabrics, as some of them are SO BEAUTIFUL, but I also have plenty of lights that need to be used.

Next week will be my Bits and Bobs, as I've dug out enough triangles to finish my churn dashes, and I suddenly have a plethora of tiny nines to make into nine patches.  Wish me luck!

I'm ready for the ill season to be over.  We seem to be in a clear space; let's hope we stay well!  Be sure to visit other purple projects this weekend!

from the room of Zana's Ninis,
katie z.

12 comments:

Jennifer said...

your churn dashes are fantastic! "not need another quilt" did that really just come out of your mouth?! haha! you could save it as a quilt for your daughter's hope chest- they grow up so fast!

Nell's Quilts said...

Wishing you luck to accomplish all your goals. Hope all stay healthy so you can. Lovely churn dashes. The black pops the colour nicely.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The practicality of "don't need another quilt" is always at war with the need to create, isn't it?! Your blocks are beautiful and it will be fun to see the hand dyed fabrics as you go through the year.

Cathy said...

What a lovely use of hand-dyes. I have made a note! And you're smart to start on teacher quilts already. Stay healthy!

Chantal said...

Those are GREAT fabric in the Churn Dash Blocks. Love it. Hope you stay in the no-bugs-zone. Sending prayers your way ... just in case. ;^)

scraphappy said...

Those purples are beautiful. Sewing with hand dyes is so much fun. They look great against the dark background too.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

perfect!!!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your Barn Dance is going to be SEW dramatic!! Mine was set aside in favor of some money-making projects. Hoping to get mine out again before too long. Enjoy!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

I saved out all of her designs and actually cut out the pieces/parts for a smaller version that I designed using her components. Time will tell whether I make it that way or use the cut parts to make another style quilt top.

Deb A said...

Beautiful fabrics! Enjoy the sewing while the little one is all snuggled up with you =). Hope the illness stays away and you have a nice healthy household this week.

Kate said...

Love the darker background fabric in those blocks. It really makes those color pop. Hopefully everyone is well and back to school this week.

newsurfiegirl said...

Those fabrics are beautiful. I love the dark background too.

Stash Report Week #16 and 15 Minutes

 The stash report remains unchanged.  I am adding borders and basting a small quilt this week, so I will have a shift in numbers soon. I fin...