Friday, March 11, 2022

Finished Quilt: Flowers for Frances

 I finished a quilt!

I finished a quilt!

This quilt is called “Flowers for Nanagirl” from Kim Brackett’s book Scrap-Basket Sensations.  I loved how easy the flowers were to stitch and assemble.  I don’t have any large print florals for a border, so I chose gray like stones around a flower bed.

The backing is simply fantastic.  This was a two pieces of fabric from a giveaway by Vicki Welsh.  I had other dreamy plans for it, perhaps a lovely hand quilted piece, but the flower-like center piece called to be included in this quilt.  I framed the center piece with the dyed-to-match fabric in strips around it.  I love it.
I am pretty chuffed with the quilting texture on this one.  I avoided my usual meander and did curls and leaves instead.  While that required more attention and focus, I’m delighted with it.  The border is quilted in wide straight blocks.  Maybe it should be more quilted, but I’m happy with the texture overall.

No fabrics bled in the making of this quilt, for which I am eternally grateful.  Bleeding fabrics have been the bane of my quilting existence of late.

The short story on this quilt… We moved into this house over December and January a year ago, so we didn’t meet all the neighbors.  Since we live out in the country, our “neighbors” live a mile or more away for the most part.  My husband and I delivered Christmas cookies to the neighbors this year, and we met the most lovely lady in a farmhouse down the road.  I won’t share too much about her for the sake of her privacy, but she was relating to us that at one time she had an enormous flower garden, but she was too old to keep it up anymore.  Hence, Flowers for Frances.  I whimsically imagine this quilt to be a little flower garden for her, neatly edged in stone, with no weeding required.  We’ve had a cold running through the house, so once no one has the sniffles anymore, I’m excited to delivery this squishy package.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.


3 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a sweet neighbor you are, Katie!! No weeding required is the perfect kind of garden and your use of 'stones' for the border treatment was inspired. She's going to LOVE it!!!

Vicki W said...

Everything about this quilt is lovely: the story, the "flowers" and some sunshine on the back. I love how you used the giveaway fabric.

Kate said...

What a fun finish! Love the flowers and that backing is really spectacular. Hopefully the sniffles have dried up and you've been able to deliver that package.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...