Thursday, March 31, 2022

Finished Quilt: Friends

 Earlier this year, Spunky asked for a quilt for her friend L.  They’ve been friends since kindergarten despite her being homeschooled the last two year and him transferring away from the Catholic school due to bullying. She asks for so little that I happily obliged.  We chose fabrics, and then I hunted for a pattern.  I am still enjoying the book Successful Scrap Quilts from Simple Rectangles, so I picked two block designs and went to work.



Spunky is happy.  I’m happy.

The quilt is roughly 5’ by 7’; L is tall and lanky, so a big quilt was necessary.  We decided together that a dyed backing would be better than pieced (my stash rarely has larger than a two yard piece these days), so we decided on a spiral.  You know me and my dyeing experiments.  I have plenty of learning moments.  This time, it’s that some of my dye has expired.  This backing is supposed to be green and orange; all the turquoise is from the green dye.  Fortunately, I’m not hooked on perfection, so the backing is what it is.


I’m inordinately pleased with my quilting this time. I chose a lime green thread for my meander this time, and with few jagged bits and good tension, I think it looks beautiful.

from the room of Zana’s Ninis,
katie z.

1 comment:

Mlada said...

I'm glad for that first picture showing the stitching since my eyes are not good enough to pick it out from the big picture. You do such wonderful work.

Batten the Hatches

We’re expecting “extreme” weather this afternoon and evening, so I’ve already cleaned up the yard, mowed, and run errands for the weekend.  ...